AGEbeautiful is the first anti-aging haircolor but that doesn’t limit it to just one generation of haircolor users…
Enter Regina and Marta, the delightful mother and daughter duo who dazzled us from the minute they walked into the photo shoot. After we finished pleasantries of our shared Williamsburg, Brooklyn residences (who knew that my favorite Polish take-out was pronounced with a “joop!” for Dzup?) we got down to business!
Mom Regina wants a regal red that works well with her complexion, completely obliterates her stubborn grays and doesn’t give her “hot roots”. My hands couldn’t reach for the AGEbeautiful RC’s fast enough.
REGINA’S REGAL RED FORMULA
1 1/2oz AGEbeautiful 7RC Permanent Hair Color
1/2oz AGEbeautiful 8N Permanent Hair Color
2oz AGEbeautiful 20Volume Developer
Apply formula at root area only and allow to process for 45 minutes.
Rinse, shampoo and condition.
OPTIONAL GLOSS TECHNIQUE
Gloss faded ends using AGEbeautiful TintShine Bronze for 10 minutes at sink.
This key to Regina’s formula is the addition of the neutral 8N shade, which not only gives complete gray coverage but also ensures balanced, not too-vibrant, aka “hot roots”.
Daughter Marta is a working actress / model and wants to have some fun with her color, while still being seen as a blonde. My fan-favorite Metallic Rose on her tips will give her some excitement while keeping angry phone calls from her agent at bay.
MARTA’S METALLIC ROSE FORMULA
2 1/4oz AGEbeautiful Clear Shine Demi Permanent Color
1/4oz AGEbeautiful 5RR Demi Permanent Color
2 1/2oz AGEbeautiful Demi Permanent Developer
Begin by isolating away the top half section of the hair (from temple to crown)
Alternate with one inch horizontal and diagonal front sections
Back-comb each section with about half of the hair towards the root-line of the section
Free-hand paint your Metallic Rose Formula in a V-Shaped pattern in each section, from mid lengths to ends
Allow to process for 20 minutes upon completion
Rinse, shampoo and condition.
Regina and Marta are great examples of the self-pampering that we all need to do after the hectic holiday season.
They are also remarkable proof that AGEbeautiful is the go-to hair color for all generations!
I love this time of year.
That first turn of summer into fall season when the days are bright and bold.
And the nights are crisp and cold.
That contrast between shadows + light, warm vs cool.
There’s a certain sexy to this time of year that only a brunette understands…
Iris has been a proud brunette for her whole life and wasn’t interested in becoming a blonde but would benefit from some brighter bits.
I always hated that old adage that at a certain point in your life, you have to basically give up and “act your age”.
Iris’ hair was perfect for this look and I was determined to prove not only that but the other anti-aging benefits of taking this next step.
Iris had been covering those pesky grays using my favorite rich sable brunette formula:
1oz AGEbeautiful 6N Permanent + 3/4oz 6G Permanent + 1/4oz 7A Permanent with 2oz 20Volume
Once Iris’ grays were knocked out we got to the real action…
We free hand painted highlights using AGEbeautiful Crème Lightener and 40Volume
I mixed them together to a whipped crème like consistency and started in the back of Iris’ head. Starting right above the occipital bone we painted V-shaped 2” pieces in a brick-lay pattern. At the front of her face we began to place pieces on a diagonal-back.
Using your eye place the brighter pieces where the sun would naturally lighten the most.
We processed until the highlights were pale yellow.
Now for my favorite fall gloss formula:
Equal parts of AGEbeautiful TintShine Gold + TintShine Bronze with Demi Developer
We applied all over Iris’ hair for 10 minutes
Not only did Iris have stunning results but was delighted to know that these new highlights would help buffer the blow of the incoming grays in a few weeks.
Iris proves that you can keep your hair youthful at any age and was last seen with a basket full of TintShine at Sally Beauty.
We all know bad hair when we see it.
Hair color that reads more chicken fat yellow than golden blonde… a vibrant blue that came out puddle grey… knowing how to do a pre-lighten is essential to achieving the results you want.
Whether you want to have the perfect pale platinum base color, need to remove old dark tones or want the ultimate base color for super vibrant shades, learning how to properly lighten hair is essential.
The art of a perfect pre-lighten lies in having the right tools and the right technique that will empower you to do it all by yourself… and why do you do it yourself?
Because you can do it better than anyone else can!
Gather Your Supplies!
FOR AN OVERALL COMPLETE HEAD BLEACH OUT
Ideal for a brunette or dark brown that wants to go blonde / platinum or someone who wants to remove all of the previously colored tint on their hair. This is excellent for someone who wants a bright, vivid final tone on their whole head.
- Mix together 2 oz. AGEbeautiful Crème Lightener with 3oz. AGEbeautiful Developer (see guide below), in a bowl with a brush. This will give you a whipped cream like consistency, if you want it thicker use less developer.
- Start in the darkest areas that are at least ½ inch away from the scalp. The immediate root area is always the last to be applied. (This area lightens the fastest and easiest)
- Take small sections—the smaller the section—the greater your success!
- Evenly saturate each section.
- Once your mid-lengths and ends have lightened to your desired level, apply to the root area. Tip: Putting hair into a shower cap can help retain heat and give you even more lifting ability.
- Process until desired level (see guide below). Hair will look lighter than it is while the lightener is on the hair.
- Rinse, shampoo and deep condition hair.
Hair is now ready for your final color application!
FOR FREE-HAND-PAINTED PIECES
Ideal for adding lighter pieces to the hair for either natural highlights or as the precursor to select strands of vibrancy.
- Mix together 2oz. AGEbeautiful Crème Lightener with 2oz. AGEbeautiful 40 Volume Developer in a bowl with a brush.
- Find a spot in your hair you want to add the lightness, take a small section (about one inch deep and two inches across) Clip away the non-sectioned hair.
- For an even more diffused (read: subtle effect) at the root, back-comb / tease some hair downwards to the scalp/root area.
- With gloves on, using your brush, paint free hand, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends of the hair.
- Repeat around the head, remember you can always go back and add more…
- Process to desired level. (See guide below)
- Rinse, shampoo and condition.
If you are overlaying a vibrant color on top of this, your hair is now ready!
UNDERSTANDING THE HAIR LIGHTENING PROCESS
While your hair lightens it will go through different color phases:
- Black hair lightens to red
- Brown hair lightens to red/orange
- Light brown hair lightens to orange
- Dark blonde hair lightens to orange/yellow
- Blonde hair lightens to yellow
- Light blonde hair lightens to pale yellow
FINAL DESIRED LEVEL GUIDE
- For blonde lighten hair to yellow stage.
- For platinum lighten to pale yellow.
- For vibrant tones (pink, violet, blue, bright red) lighten to palest yellow (think the inside of a banana)
UNDERSTANDING LIGHTENER AND DEVELOPER
While it may seem complicated, think of AGEbeautiful Crème Lightener as your engine and the AGEbeautiful Developer as the gasoline. How much gas do you want to give your engine?
The higher the volume, the more gas.
Arming yourself with the knowledge of a proper pre-lighten will ensure results that will exceed your expectations and steer you clear of chicken fat yellow!
About AGEbeautiful Artistic Director, Mike Petrizzi:
- Lives: Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY
- Works: Livian Salon, Chelsea, NYC
- Favorite thing to do: Biking around NYC!
- Why do you Heart AGEbeautiful? I love AGEbeautiful because it is the best hair color for gray coverage out there. I trust it on all of my incredibly discerning clients, knowing that it reliably delivers 100% maximum gray coverage, restores manageability and softness, and transforms wiry grays.
Mike’s Top 10 Haircolor Tips:
1. GRAY AWAY
First grays got you down? Grab AGEbeautiful Demi Permanent Color to softly blend away grays and leave your hair with super sexy shine.
Try using a neutral AGEbeautiful Demi Permanent shade on your roots and a vibrant tonality on your mid-lengths and ends for perfect, balanced results, every time!
3.HOT ROOT REMEDY
Got roots that are screaming for attention? For a quick fix use AGEbeautiful Root Touch-Up Spray in a shade lighter than needed and apply a couple of coats to achieve deeper results.
Want to banish brass from your hair? Try AGEbeautiful 3B to destroy unwanted warmth on brunettes.
Red need a refresh? AGEbeautiful Tint Shine Sheer Red to the rescue for an instant red reinvigoration!
6.GO FOR THE GOLD
Blonde beginning to go bland? Use AGEbeautiful Clear Shine and 9N to restore brilliance to your blonde and make it come back to life!
Want a brunette that is anything but boring? Spice it up using AGEbeautiful’s Ultimate Coverage Collection for a rich, chocolate brown with super sexy shine.
Ready for a bold, vibrant infusion of powerful plum tones? Try AGEbeautiful Shades of Intrigue Collection for the perfect plum hair.
9.VOLUMIZE & CONCEAL
Add sexy volume to your hair using AGEbeautiful Root Touch-Up Spray. It delicately covers thinning patches so hair looks naturally full and beautiful.
AGEbeautiful Tint Shine is a quick way to add a soft veil of sheer color and brilliant shine to previously colored hair. Best part? It only takes 10 minutes!
Check out more of Mike’s expert tips and techniques on:
- Instagram: @petrizzipro
- Facebook: Zotos Professional
- Twitter: @zotosprofesh